by Day and Phil Bugler of Eat Drink Explore
Going out to dine in a restaurant with a small child is no small feat.
The anxiety of it can be almost crippling and make you want to stay in and order takeout. Being young parents who consider themselves huge foodies, dining out is non-negotiable.
Burrito (AKA Philip IV) is now two years old. The toys he loves, the food he eats, and the shows he’s obsessed with are continually changing. He keeps us on our toes. The roller coaster ride of whims we are on with him feels never-ending at times.
There are a few toys we never leave home without when dining out with our Burrito post quarantine. These Toys are not always foolproof, and every child is different, but we did want to share our five favorites with you.
Shopping Online at Owen and Sage is always our go-to.
We love how this brand is bringing personal connection back to retail. It makes us feel good to support small makers, and we love how Burrito goes crazy for anything we purchase from this small shop. 10% of all sales get donated to NAACP (National Association for the Advancement of Colored People), and there are tons of eco-friendly and sustainable goodies for you and your little one.
Here’s our top picks for best packable toys for dining out with your little ones
1. Blue racer #8 Candy car ($10) – made out of solid beech wood, water-based paint, Plastic rims, and plastic tires.
2. The Pebble Peg Dolls (alphabet) ($19) – made out of maple wood and comes with an awesome Cotton bag for storage/ travel.
3. The Car Playmat ($30) – a canvas playmat that has a screen-printed road. Rolls up nicely and fits in purse/ diaper bag easily.
4. The Crayon Set – set of 6 Crayons handmade using environmentally friendly soy and beeswaxes. Crayons come in carrying case perfect for traveling. Pre COVID, we would look forward to getting a set of crayons and coloring sheets now its nice to have our own that we bring with us.
5. Baby Animal Lacing Cards ($21) – Six sturdy, durable lacing cards that encourage hand-eye coordination and develop motor skills. keep the box for secure travel/storage
We know dining out with the entire family can be an uphill climb, but don’t give up. Let the hospitality industry work its magic. Hopefully, one of these five toys allows you to enjoy a peaceful dinner out. Let one of your favorite restaurants take care of cooking and cleaning.
About Eat Drink Explore
Eat Drink Explore is a podcast that explores the food and beverage industry. Who, what, where, and why. Listen to us, talk to industry professionals, and break down the ins and outs.