August is Black-Owned Business Month, a time to celebrate and elevate the brilliance of Black entrepreneurship and leadership in our communities. With hearts ignited by solidarity and a shared vision, we stand ready to champion local black-owned businesses, nurturing aspirations and cultivating connections that weave the tapestry of our neighborhoods. Here are 10 great Black-Owned Businesses and Black-led organizations to engage with with month and year-round.
We are a social impact media agency.
We are producers of content, partners in causes, and philanthropists giving forward. We specialize in human-centered, social justice-driven stories of impact.
Our clients are EmVisionaries enabling social change, from grassroots nonprofits to government agencies to global corporations. Our portfolio includes entrepreneurship, community leadership, education, diversity, equity & inclusion, environmental justice, public health and medicine, and innovation.
And a portion of every engagement goes to support the EmVisionary Grants for BIPOC-led nonprofits and the UMass Boston EmVision Social Impact Scholarship Fund, which supports graduate students advancing social justice. Learn more.
My name is Mikki Wilson, and I am The Dot Connector. Purpose-driven women entrepreneurs providing services partner with me when they struggle to pay themselves consistently! I connect the dots in your business with a distinct and disruptive marketing strategy allowing you to scale and identify pathways that increase profitability and produce passive income streams you might be overlooking! Learn more about Dot Connector Consulting.
A Trusted All-Natural Skin Care Company Ivy Ziporah offers a wide range of all natural beauty products across the United States. We are always committed to providing solutions that meet the skin care needs of our various customers. Learn more about Ivy Ziporah
Cojuelo’s Productions is at the forefront of celebrating all forms of artistic expression, with a particular focus on Latinx/Hispanic culture. Operating from a foundation of creativity and innovation, this dynamic company specializes in orchestrating high-end events that pay homage to the rich tapestry of Latin American heritage.
What sets Cojuelo’s Productions apart is its unyielding commitment to diversity. Each event is meticulously crafted to highlight various aspects of Latinx/Hispanic culture, from traditional music and dance to contemporary art and literature. The team is passionate about weaving together elements that reflect the vibrant and multifaceted nature of these communities.
Raw Art Works, aka RAW, is a youth arts organization rooted in art therapy.
RAW’s mission is to ignite the desire to create and confidence to succeed in our youth.At its core, RAW believes that all kids should be seen and heard and that everyone has a story to tell. Located in Lynn, Massachusetts, RAW offers a variety of free programming from painting to filmmaking, for kids in grades 4-12. RAW uses art to ask kids “What is really going on?” in their lives, giving them the tools to create in unexpected ways, and envision new possibilities for their future. Learn more about Raw Artworks. (Black Led)
The mission of The North Shore Juneteenth Association is a group of community leaders seeking to create awareness about the Juneteenth holiday, educate the broader community about positive aspects of African American culture, and dismantle racism by using events and programming as a tool for change. Learn more about North Shore Juneteenth Association here.
North Shore Juneteenth has a wonderful list of Boston area Black-Owned Businesses on their website. View it here!
Professional Video + Photography Services
We are a team of creatives dedicated to bringing your story to life using photography and filmmaking. From capturing the perfect moment to creating an entire production, we create content you can share with the world.
Our business provides accessible options for businesses, individuals, nonprofits, entrepreneurs, and more to diversify their storytelling and reach their base. We also offer a unique perspective of our community that we convey through our lens and personalities, sometimes appearing in productions featuring Lynn and surrounding cities. Learn more about Francois Studios
Why we support Black Owned Businesses all year long.
- Economic Equality: Investing in black-owned businesses reduces the racial wealth gap. It empowers individuals within the community to create wealth and stability, promoting overall economic equality.
- Community Development: Often, black-owned businesses are located within their communities and invest back into them. This supports job creation, infrastructure improvement, and local services that strengthen the community.
- Diverse Products and Services: These businesses often offer unique products, services, and perspectives that might not be found elsewhere. By supporting them, consumers can enjoy a broader range of options and experiences.
- Promoting Representation: Supporting black-owned businesses helps foster a culture of inclusion and diversity. It encourages more entrepreneurs from minority backgrounds to start and grow their businesses, knowing that they will be supported.
- Social Justice and Equity: Continuous support sends a strong message against systemic racism and inequality. It showcases a commitment to fairness, justice, and opportunities for everyone, regardless of their racial background.
- Strengthens the Entire Economy: When all population segments have an equal opportunity to succeed, it boosts overall economic health and innovation. It encourages competition and growth across all sectors, benefiting everyone.
- Alignment with Values: For those who value equity, diversity, and inclusion, supporting black-owned businesses is a tangible way to align purchases and investments with these values.